Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes




Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes!

I was trying to get rid of the Strawberry Daiquiri Mix and what is better in the summer then Strawberry Lemonade?! Even our wedding cake interior flavor was strawberry lemonade! I followed the egg white recipe on the box. With one box, instead of water I used the strawberry daiquiri instead of the water. With the other box, instead of water I used lemonade and a teaspoon of lemon extract. To get some more yellow color I of course added yellow food gelatin. I filled the cupcakes about 3/4 full with the strawberry cake mix. Then I used a large spoon (not serving size) to top with the lemonade cake mix (See images below).  





This is how they turned out! I liked how the pink peaked through! 



I could not decide on what to do for the icing- stick with just strawberry or lemon? So I ended up going with both and making my own recipe! 

Strawberry Lemon Cream Icing Recipe
1 Stick of butter
8 oz. cream cheese 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (always use pure vanilla extract if possible)
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract  
1 1/2 teaspoon strawberry diaquari mix
4 cups powdered confectioners sugar (I ended up using a whole one pound box)
1 Tablespoon heavy cream, heavy whipping cream or milk
Hot Pink Food Coloring Gel


*Place butter in a large mixing bowl and blend until smooth. Add cream cheese and blend until well combined, about 30 seconds.

*Add extracts and drops of coloring (I didn't want to make it too pink)
*Add powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) and blend on low speed until combined. Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy.
*Slowly add the heavy cream 
*Beat until fluffy, about 1 minute.
*Use at once or keep refrigerated. (This frosting will keep well in the refrigerator for several days, but you may need to re-beat it for the best texture.)



No comments:

Post a Comment